Media Paper 2 learner response
1) Type up your feedback in full (you do not need to write the mark/grade if you do not wish to).
For Question 1 on the gangs of london poster, my feedback stated that my points were expressed clearly, but I need to provide a more developed answer with more media terminology and theory. For Question 2, the 25-mark TV question, my feedback noted that I demonstrated some knowledge of distribution changes, but I need to include more industry detail and references to audience consumption, such as binge-watching and media convergence.
2) Read the mark scheme for this exam carefully (posted on your exam teacher's Google Classroom), paying particular attention to the the 'indicative content' for each question. Firstly, focus on the unseen question and identify two aspects of the poster that you could have written about in your answer.
The skyline of contemporary skyscrapers, which are signifiers of the city, banking, and finance.
The positioning of the characters, which I could interpret as signifiers of race and gender, such as the dominant white male, the evasive Black male, and the diminished female.
3) Look at the indicative content for Q1 again and make a note of any theories or examples of media terminology you could have used in your answer.
The title as a "sign" that anchors the possible meaning of the image, showing the white-collar professionals as gangsters
.
An ideological reading of the poster, which suggests that capitalism is a corrupt system that only benefits the few.
The grey skies, which are portents of doom, acting as signifiers of a feeling of impending danger.
4) Now focus on the TV 25-marker. Read this exemplar response for the TV question and pick out three arguments, phrases or theories from the essay that you could use in a future question on Capital and Deutschland 83.
I can use Gramsci’s theory of hegemony to explain how a show might seem liberal but actually supports capitalist values by showing that the characters I am supposed to like are all hardworking and contribute to the economy.
I can explain how genre and visual choices, like the supermarket scenes and split-screen editing in Deutschland 83, are used to frame the West as superior to the East.
I can follow the essay's example of discussing how a show might have multiple, often conflicting, ideological messages to show that the producers are creating a range of different meanings for different audiences.
5) Finally, identify three things you need to revise for Media Paper 2 before your next assessment of mock exam.
Audience consumption patterns, such as binge-watching, self-scheduling, and how these differ from traditional industry-controlled viewing.
Media convergence and how technological changes influence the way products are produced, distributed, and circulated.
Industry details, specifically how independent producers like Kudos work with global distributors like Fremantle to reach international audiences.
Comments
Post a Comment